[ ‘SHARE’ Jan-Feb 2015 ] STEP INTO THE WORLD
The Nepalese culture is strongly influenced by male superiority and caste system values. Local women, especially those in rural districts, are rarely involved in social events or decision making processes. Not only are they unable to express their views, they are also unfairly treated and bounded by various social restrictions.
Kaumari Thing lives in the hill area of Bharta in Makwanpur district, central Nepal. Her husband passed away eleven years ago and to raise her two children she worked odd jobs in a farm. Being a widow with unstable income, nobody would lend her money. Then she joined a women’s self-help group organised by CEDAR’s partner Share and Care; she learned writing, money saving and finance management. Kaumari also participated in social affairs and started her own farming with a small loan from the self-help group. Now she and her children no longer need to worry about food and shelter. Furthermore the two children can go to school, making Kaumari very proud and contented.
CEDAR’s partner Share and Care carries out empowerment projects for women in the hill areas of Nepal, building and enhancing local women and girls’ capability by:
- Setting up women’s self-help groups, teaching literacy and finance management, livelihood development, women’s rights, social affairs participation, and raising awareness of issues such as human trafficking and domestic violence;
- Providing girls with education support, forming self-help groups for girls, enhancing their basic life-skills, hygiene and health knowledge, and raising their awareness of human trafficking.
Kaumari now actively promotes women’s development in her village. We hope that with your support, more Nepalese women may become self-confident, dignified and valuable.
Other Methods of Payment
- Cheque payable to ‘CEDAR FUND’
- Deposit to HSBC A/C No. 600-385678-001, enclosing with the Pay-in slip
- Autopay (only applicable to regular fixed donations), enclosing with a completed Autopay Authorisation Form (Download: WORD or PDF)
- Visa/ Master Card
Download Donation Form
Please send a completed Donation Form, enclosing with cheque or pay-in slip, to CEDAR FUND, G.P.O. BOX 3212, HONG KONG.
 CEDAR is an approved charitable institutions and trusts of a public character under section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance. Please click Inland Revenue Department website to check for details.
 Donations over $100 are tax deductible in Hong Kong with our receipts.
 Please DO NOT fax any donation information.