On 28th September, a 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck Sulawesi, an island in Indonesia. The quake was followed by multiple aftershocks and triggered a tsunami with waves ranging from 6 metres tall. As of 8th October, at least 1,900 lives were lost and more than 2,630 people have been heavily injured, recorded by the Indonesian government. Nearly 66,000 houses were severely damaged, and about 74,000 people have been displaced. Palu and Donggala, in central Sulawesi, were heavily affected, but access to the area were blocked due to roads destruction. Conditions of the survivors in certain regions of remote areas are unknown. Humanitarian workers are expected to arrive the area in a few days. The number of deaths and affected are likely to increase.
Countless people lost their homes and loved ones over the sudden disaster. Survivors were left with no food and electricity for days. Public facilities such as medical facilities were damaged, aid agencies fear an outbreak of communicable diseases. Figures show that there are more than 440,000 Christians living in central Sulawesi. According to a report by aid workers, in Sigi, among those killed were 34 children at a Christian Bible study camp held at a church training centre, another 52 students of the camp remain missing.
CEDAR is in close contact with Integral Alliance (IA) members and local network, and ready to provide critical support as needed. According to the local churches, the affected are in dire need of food, clean water, temporary shelter, and medical support.
ACT NOW to respond to the needs of the affected families and children!
- Cheque payable to “CEDAR FUND”
- Direct deposit to our bank accounts: HSBC 600-385678-001 / BEA 015-185-68-00931-7 SSA
- Visa/ Master Card (Download Donation Form)
 CEDAR is an approved charitable institution and trust of a public character under section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance. Please visit Inland Revenue Department website for details.
 Donations over HK$100 are tax deductible in Hong Kong with our receipts.
 Please DO NOT fax any donation information.
- CEDAR is closely communicating with IA members and local church network, and we have learned that local organisations and churches are already responding to the needs of the survivors. May God strengthen their spirit and work
- Local organisations learned that some remote communities have yet to receive aid; we pray that the Lord make a way and provide for the aid workers to reach vulnerable families and children in these communities
- May the Holy Spirit comfort the morning and suffering families; may their prayers and cries be heard
Add>G.P.O. Box 3212 Hong Kong
CEDAR’s Relief and Rehabilitation Work in the past: http://eng.cedarfund.org/relief
CEDAR Approach on Relief and Rehabilitation: http://eng.cedarfund.org/relief-approach/
FAQs on Relief Appeal: http://bit.ly/cedar-relief-FAQe
*Integral Alliance is a global alliance of 23 Christian relief and development agencies, working together to present a more effective response to poverty worldwide. CEDAR Fund is one of the member agencies.